Thursday, August 9, 2007

Beowulf (Dave Campbell ?)


Seeing as how this is hailed as one of the greatest achievements of the English language, I purposed to read it. I confess I did not read the poem, rather a prose rendering. I expected this would enhance comprehension, and I was miserably correct.

There is no clue as to the original author of this work, so I took upon myself to claim authorship. Thank you. Thank you. Dont look for the book tour however, because I now regret that I have imposed such loathsome reading upon this planet. Here's the rundown...

Monster terrorizes Danish people.
Man from next province over (Boewulf) comes with many words and kills monster.
Much backslapping and lofty speech as to how great everything is.
Man kills monster's mother.
More backslapping and lofty speech.
Man leaves to his own country and reigns nobly for fifty years.
Man killed by dragon.
Whole world of middle-school students forced to read text.

No wonder kids dont like to read. Hark! Perhaps if we handeth unto thine children texts to engageth their realities they mayest grow more fond toward said practice.

I did not finish the book. Read about half. Thank goodness it only cost me $1.50.

No comments: